Sunday, March 22, 2009

Stay at Mom’s Story Part 4

In my last entry I was at the point in my life that I became diabetic. This in its self is not that big a problem as long as you take care of yourself which I do. What makes this event a family crisis is that again we are without an income. The only benefit is that we have become a low income family and that alone allowed my to make the decision to go back to school and figure out what to do next. Retirement and student loans allowed us to keep our house and put food on the table. My wife and I made the decision to do something that all my past teachers said would be impossible for me to do, become a teacher. I had a goal to provide for my family and become a teacher. Through the college I attended I obtained a part time position in a after school program in one of the local school districts, which gave my family extra income. I went to school from 7 am to 3pm worked till 6:30pm, then studied sometimes to 2 am. I received top grades in all subjects and I received my 4 year college degree and my teaching credentials after 3 years while most people take 5 to 6 years. I was very proud of myself. Now to find a job. I started looking for work while I was still in my final student teaching. I went to 80 interviews and nothing. Finally, I interviewed for a job 4 hours away from home and was offered the job. The next day, I saw a job at a small school in the country 20 mins away from my house, so I applied and interviewed the very same day. I was offered that job an hour later. I couldn’t believe this was happening, my wife was so happy that we didn’t have to move. Someone was looking after me that day, and has been all along. Once, I was settled into the new teaching job I was told I was eligible to get my student loans paid off due to the school being low income and low preforming. I thought wow finally, things are going my way it was about time. But in the back of my mind I was thinking when is the next hammer going to fall. Well, one day I was tired of thinking this way, my oldest son is now receiving social security for his disibility, and how long is that going to last. We have him in a college enabler program in hopes he can provide for himself one day. I don’t want to let anything go to chance anymore, so I decided to go looking for another source of income, which I have found several very reliable sources. I was been spending the last year learning everything I can about online marketing, network marketing and website search engine optimization. Well, here it is 2009, new president of USA and the economy is in the tank my school district is laying off 150 teachers. I didn’t get a pink slip but I don’t know if I can stay in there if there is a second wave of lay offs. Thank God he is in my head telling me to keep moving forward. I have several streams of income now, one of which I have dedicated to my oldest sons future. In the up coming installments of this blog I will attempt to review my programs for my readers, and if any of this helps anyone out there, it was worth it.

0 comments: